From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 22:55:22
1 On Monday 07 Jan 2013 07:35:32 Dale wrote:
2
3 > I think you misunderstand or I didn't make myself clear. I'm not saying
4 > it was udev that did this. I am pretty sure it was the kernel. All
5 > this happened when people with older IDE drives, myself included on my
6 > old machine, had to switch to the new drivers and devices. Before the
7 > change, old IDE drives and CD/DVD drives were given hd* devices and udev
8 > made a link to that with /dev/cdrom or dvd or whatever for optical
9 > devices which is what you seem to expect now. The reason udev did that
10 > was for it to be consistent which I have no problem with . When the
11 > kernel folks changed this, they also changed it from /dev/cdrom and
12 > /dev/dvd to /dev/sr0. From my understanding, all optical devices such
13 > as CD and DVD readers/burners are supposed to be sr0. I know k3b
14 > updated theirs too. I seem to recall I had to run a unstable version
15 > for a bit because the older version didn't have the code to see sr*
16 > devices.
17 >
18 > I never said anything was broke, just that it was changed. There was
19 > several things that was changed at about the same time that were related
20 > and this was just one of them. Another was the change from /dev/hdXX to
21 > /dev/sdXX for ALL hard drives. This change happened even if you was
22 > using the old IDE drives. As I understand it, /dev/hdxx is no longer
23 > supported on current kernels. All hard drives are /dev/sdxx and optical
24 > drives are /dev/sr0(1,2,3,4 etc).
25 >
26 > Also, I didn't remove anything. It was changed by the kernel which also
27 > lead to udev changing what it did. Again, as much as I dislike what
28 > udev is planning, I never said udev did this one. I'm pretty sure this
29 > was all started with the kernel devs. The udev folks just followed along.
30 >
31 > The biggest thing I recall is everyone with IDE drives having to update
32 > the kernel config, edit fstab and grub or lilo before rebooting. This
33 > was discussed on this list and I don't recall much fuss except for
34 > having to change it and update everything. It was sort of a one time
35 > thing and had a long term goal. All hard drives are sdxx and optical
36 > devices are srx. All this happened when I was on my old rig which was
37 > at least a few years ago.
38 >
39 > Does that make more sense now?
40 >
41 > Dale
42 >
43 > :-) :-)
44
45 I think that you are conflating two issues which are separate in terms of
46 chronology at least. Years ago we moved to libata and hdX changed to sdX.
47 The udev confguration was updated at the time to link /dev/cd* and /dev/dvd*
48 to srX.
49
50 More recently, the udev rules nomenclature changed. The udev persistent-cd
51 rules however was not changed. I moved it, remerged stable udev and the file
52 was not recreated. So something in udev has changed and it no longer
53 generates the persistent-cd rules.
56 BTW, pressing the touch sensitive button on the laptop to eject the CD won't
57 work, neither will typing eject in a terminal:
58
59 $ eject
60 eject: tried to use `/mnt/cdrom' as device name but it is no block device
61 eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'
64 So, eject is still looking for cdrom ...
65
66 Either all commands and legacy apps should update themselves, or I better
67 follow Mark's suggestion?
68 --
69 Regards,
70 Mick