From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 07:37:14
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >> This links goes to a specific post in the thread. Don't scroll or you
5 >> will have to dig. The one to look far if it messes up is the post by
6 >> NeddySeagoon.
7 >>
8 >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6362608.html#6362608
9 >>
10 >> More info:
11 >>
12 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-config.xml#doc_chap3
13 >>
14 >> According to one page I found, this happened several years ago so no
15 >> idea how anyone missed it this long. It was discussed on this very list
16 >> but my archives don't go back that far. I figure if I don't run into a
17 >> problem in a year or so, I missed it which is a odd thing of itself
18 >> since I usually find every problem there is. ;-)
19 >>
20 >> Dale
21 > Dale,
22 > Thanks for digging that up. It's interesting, but I don't think
23 > it's exactly relevant. TTBOMK I've used /dev/sdX and /dev/srX for as
24 > long as it's been available. Most of my machines these days were all
25 > built after the change so it's all they've ever known. Maybe one
26 > machine used /dev/dhX.
27 >
28 > However, that's not the issue I'm looking for background on. You
29 > seemed to say earlier that it's a widely known thing that udev links
30 > to /dev/srX are not only broken but also bogus. You don't use them.
31 > Others have seen the same issue. I've seen the udev links not work for
32 > a couple of months.
33 >
34 > However from what I can tell you don't use them
35 > 1) because they broke, and
36 > 2) like me you never took the time to determine _why_ they broke.
37 >
38 > I was in the same place until yesterday when I decided to dig in a
39 > little bit. Now, my point is that while the old links created in old
40 > rules files are broken (and they are) it's not clear to me that udev
41 > is broken. Clear Kay Sievers (sp?) still assumes they work although
42 > they will automatically only do /dev/sr0. The use is responsible for
43 > creating others if they need them. (Which 99% of folks will not, so
44 > basically, it still works.)
45 >
46 > What appears to have actually broken is the old PCI path
47 > nomeclature, and not 'udev proper', as best I can tell.
48 >
49 > Anyway, it's well known in the known universe that you are mad at
50 > udev so I don't expect you're looking for ways to make this stuff work
51 > and I do appreciate you digging the stuff up that you found. Thanks.
52 >
53 > Over and out,
54 > Mark
58 I think you misunderstand or I didn't make myself clear. I'm not saying
59 it was udev that did this. I am pretty sure it was the kernel. All
60 this happened when people with older IDE drives, myself included on my
61 old machine, had to switch to the new drivers and devices. Before the
62 change, old IDE drives and CD/DVD drives were given hd* devices and udev
63 made a link to that with /dev/cdrom or dvd or whatever for optical
64 devices which is what you seem to expect now. The reason udev did that
65 was for it to be consistent which I have no problem with . When the
66 kernel folks changed this, they also changed it from /dev/cdrom and
67 /dev/dvd to /dev/sr0. From my understanding, all optical devices such
68 as CD and DVD readers/burners are supposed to be sr0. I know k3b
69 updated theirs too. I seem to recall I had to run a unstable version
70 for a bit because the older version didn't have the code to see sr* devices.
71
72 I never said anything was broke, just that it was changed. There was
73 several things that was changed at about the same time that were related
74 and this was just one of them. Another was the change from /dev/hdXX to
75 /dev/sdXX for ALL hard drives. This change happened even if you was
76 using the old IDE drives. As I understand it, /dev/hdxx is no longer
77 supported on current kernels. All hard drives are /dev/sdxx and optical
78 drives are /dev/sr0(1,2,3,4 etc).
79
80 Also, I didn't remove anything. It was changed by the kernel which also
81 lead to udev changing what it did. Again, as much as I dislike what
82 udev is planning, I never said udev did this one. I'm pretty sure this
83 was all started with the kernel devs. The udev folks just followed along.
84
85 The biggest thing I recall is everyone with IDE drives having to update
86 the kernel config, edit fstab and grub or lilo before rebooting. This
87 was discussed on this list and I don't recall much fuss except for
88 having to change it and update everything. It was sort of a one time
89 thing and had a long term goal. All hard drives are sdxx and optical
90 devices are srx. All this happened when I was on my old rig which was
91 at least a few years ago.
92
93 Does that make more sense now?
94
95 Dale
96
100 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!