From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 04:55:12
1 On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > This links goes to a specific post in the thread. Don't scroll or you
4 > will have to dig. The one to look far if it messes up is the post by
5 > NeddySeagoon.
6 >
7 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6362608.html#6362608
8 >
9 > More info:
10 >
11 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-config.xml#doc_chap3
12 >
13 > According to one page I found, this happened several years ago so no
14 > idea how anyone missed it this long. It was discussed on this very list
15 > but my archives don't go back that far. I figure if I don't run into a
16 > problem in a year or so, I missed it which is a odd thing of itself
17 > since I usually find every problem there is. ;-)
18 >
19 > Dale
20
21 Dale,
22 Thanks for digging that up. It's interesting, but I don't think
23 it's exactly relevant. TTBOMK I've used /dev/sdX and /dev/srX for as
24 long as it's been available. Most of my machines these days were all
25 built after the change so it's all they've ever known. Maybe one
26 machine used /dev/dhX.
27
28 However, that's not the issue I'm looking for background on. You
29 seemed to say earlier that it's a widely known thing that udev links
30 to /dev/srX are not only broken but also bogus. You don't use them.
31 Others have seen the same issue. I've seen the udev links not work for
32 a couple of months.
33
34 However from what I can tell you don't use them
35 1) because they broke, and
36 2) like me you never took the time to determine _why_ they broke.
37
38 I was in the same place until yesterday when I decided to dig in a
39 little bit. Now, my point is that while the old links created in old
40 rules files are broken (and they are) it's not clear to me that udev
41 is broken. Clear Kay Sievers (sp?) still assumes they work although
42 they will automatically only do /dev/sr0. The use is responsible for
43 creating others if they need them. (Which 99% of folks will not, so
44 basically, it still works.)
45
46 What appears to have actually broken is the old PCI path
47 nomeclature, and not 'udev proper', as best I can tell.
48
49 Anyway, it's well known in the known universe that you are mad at
50 udev so I don't expect you're looking for ways to make this stuff work
51 and I do appreciate you digging the stuff up that you found. Thanks.
52
53 Over and out,
54 Mark