From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 02:30:29
1 Dale wrote:
2 > William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >> On 07/01/13 09:44, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> <SNIP>
6 >>>> I'm not sure that is a bug. As I posted earlier, this was changed a
7 >>>> good while back. There was a reason for it but I can't recall what it
8 >>>> was. The new devices for CD/DVDs is /dev/sr*. I don't have, and have
9 >>>> not had, /dev/cdrom or dvd on this rig for a good while and it works. I
10 >>>> think this happened about the same time as the hard drive devices were
11 >>>> changed from hd* to sd* even for old IDE drives. Since it was changed
12 >>>> on purpose, I don't believe this is a bug.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Dale
15 >>> Might be true but how about digging up some references that this was
16 >>> done on purpose. It makes little sense to me that if someone did this
17 >>> on purpose, breaking lots of old scripts, leaving broken udev rules
18 >>> laying about and just assuming everyone would figure it out without so
19 >>> much and a news item then I'd say it was done pretty badly.
20 >>>
21 >>> Again, if it truly was 'on purpose' as you say then that's OK, but
22 >>> let's not create too much false history here. In my mind it's just as
23 >>> reasonable that it's just a mistake or someone that was overlooked,
24 >>> but I'm totally open to you showing us what we all missed.
25 >>>
26 >> Seems like the cabal has been busy again ... its not a bug but a feature!
27 >>
28 >> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=commit;h=19b66dc57cce27175ff421c4c3a37e4a491b9c01
29 >>
30 >> Also some hits on gentoo forums etc which imply that when actually
31 >> merged, the rules file was not included..
32 >>
33 >> This did happen awhile back and I just moved to /dev/sr0 and got on with
34 >> life so didnt go into it in too much detail.
35 >>
36 >> BillK
37 >>
38 > This is not Gentoo specific but I found this in a search that is just
39 > getting started:
40 >
41 > http://rlworkman.net/howtos/libata-switchover
42 >
43 > So, it did happen when switching from old IDE based drivers to the
44 > newer, some claim improved, PATA/SATA drivers. It appears the kernel
45 > started this but still searching for confirmation.
46 >
47 > Like Bill, when it was changed, I just updated the device information in
48 > my programs and went on. It was the new way and it seemed it was going
49 > to be around for a good long while. It looks like people who have
50 > created scripts are going to have to fire up vi or nano and do a little
51 > updating.
52 >
53 > Going to search some more to get a better source.
54 >
55 > Dale
56 >
57 > :-) :-)
61 This links goes to a specific post in the thread. Don't scroll or you
62 will have to dig. The one to look far if it messes up is the post by
63 NeddySeagoon.
64
65 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6362608.html#6362608
66
67 More info:
68
69 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-config.xml#doc_chap3
70
71 According to one page I found, this happened several years ago so no
72 idea how anyone missed it this long. It was discussed on this very list
73 but my archives don't go back that far. I figure if I don't run into a
74 problem in a year or so, I missed it which is a odd thing of itself
75 since I usually find every problem there is. ;-)
76
77 Dale
78
82 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!