From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 02:10:41
1 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On 07/01/13 09:44, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> <SNIP>
5 >>> I'm not sure that is a bug. As I posted earlier, this was changed a
6 >>> good while back. There was a reason for it but I can't recall what it
7 >>> was. The new devices for CD/DVDs is /dev/sr*. I don't have, and have
8 >>> not had, /dev/cdrom or dvd on this rig for a good while and it works. I
9 >>> think this happened about the same time as the hard drive devices were
10 >>> changed from hd* to sd* even for old IDE drives. Since it was changed
11 >>> on purpose, I don't believe this is a bug.
12 >>>
13 >>> Dale
14 >>
15 >> Might be true but how about digging up some references that this was
16 >> done on purpose. It makes little sense to me that if someone did this
17 >> on purpose, breaking lots of old scripts, leaving broken udev rules
18 >> laying about and just assuming everyone would figure it out without so
19 >> much and a news item then I'd say it was done pretty badly.
20 >>
21 >> Again, if it truly was 'on purpose' as you say then that's OK, but
22 >> let's not create too much false history here. In my mind it's just as
23 >> reasonable that it's just a mistake or someone that was overlooked,
24 >> but I'm totally open to you showing us what we all missed.
25 >>
26 > Seems like the cabal has been busy again ... its not a bug but a feature!
27 >
28 > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=commit;h=19b66dc57cce27175ff421c4c3a37e4a491b9c01
29 >
30 > Also some hits on gentoo forums etc which imply that when actually
31 > merged, the rules file was not included..
32 >
33 > This did happen awhile back and I just moved to /dev/sr0 and got on with
34 > life so didnt go into it in too much detail.
35 >
36 > BillK
39 This is not Gentoo specific but I found this in a search that is just
40 getting started:
41
42 http://rlworkman.net/howtos/libata-switchover
43
44 So, it did happen when switching from old IDE based drivers to the
45 newer, some claim improved, PATA/SATA drivers. It appears the kernel
46 started this but still searching for confirmation.
47
48 Like Bill, when it was changed, I just updated the device information in
49 my programs and went on. It was the new way and it seemed it was going
50 to be around for a good long while. It looks like people who have
51 created scripts are going to have to fire up vi or nano and do a little
52 updating.
53
54 Going to search some more to get a better source.
55
56 Dale
57
61 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!