From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 01:55:44
1 On 07/01/13 09:44, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >>
5 >> I'm not sure that is a bug. As I posted earlier, this was changed a
6 >> good while back. There was a reason for it but I can't recall what it
7 >> was. The new devices for CD/DVDs is /dev/sr*. I don't have, and have
8 >> not had, /dev/cdrom or dvd on this rig for a good while and it works. I
9 >> think this happened about the same time as the hard drive devices were
10 >> changed from hd* to sd* even for old IDE drives. Since it was changed
11 >> on purpose, I don't believe this is a bug.
12 >>
13 >> Dale
16 > Might be true but how about digging up some references that this was
17 > done on purpose. It makes little sense to me that if someone did this
18 > on purpose, breaking lots of old scripts, leaving broken udev rules
19 > laying about and just assuming everyone would figure it out without so
20 > much and a news item then I'd say it was done pretty badly.
21 >
22 > Again, if it truly was 'on purpose' as you say then that's OK, but
23 > let's not create too much false history here. In my mind it's just as
24 > reasonable that it's just a mistake or someone that was overlooked,
25 > but I'm totally open to you showing us what we all missed.
26 >
27 Seems like the cabal has been busy again ... its not a bug but a feature!
28
29 http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=commit;h=19b66dc57cce27175ff421c4c3a37e4a491b9c01
30
31 Also some hits on gentoo forums etc which imply that when actually
32 merged, the rules file was not included..
33
34 This did happen awhile back and I just moved to /dev/sr0 and got on with
35 life so didnt go into it in too much detail.
36
37 BillK