From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 02:07:52
1 On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM, William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > On 07/01/13 09:44, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> <SNIP>
5 >>>
6 >>> I'm not sure that is a bug. As I posted earlier, this was changed a
7 >>> good while back. There was a reason for it but I can't recall what it
8 >>> was. The new devices for CD/DVDs is /dev/sr*. I don't have, and have
9 >>> not had, /dev/cdrom or dvd on this rig for a good while and it works. I
10 >>> think this happened about the same time as the hard drive devices were
11 >>> changed from hd* to sd* even for old IDE drives. Since it was changed
12 >>> on purpose, I don't believe this is a bug.
13 >>>
14 >>> Dale
17 >> Might be true but how about digging up some references that this was
18 >> done on purpose. It makes little sense to me that if someone did this
19 >> on purpose, breaking lots of old scripts, leaving broken udev rules
20 >> laying about and just assuming everyone would figure it out without so
21 >> much and a news item then I'd say it was done pretty badly.
22 >>
23 >> Again, if it truly was 'on purpose' as you say then that's OK, but
24 >> let's not create too much false history here. In my mind it's just as
25 >> reasonable that it's just a mistake or someone that was overlooked,
26 >> but I'm totally open to you showing us what we all missed.
27 >>
28 > Seems like the cabal has been busy again ... its not a bug but a feature!
29 >
30 > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=commit;h=19b66dc57cce27175ff421c4c3a37e4a491b9c01
31 >
32 > Also some hits on gentoo forums etc which imply that when actually
33 > merged, the rules file was not included..
34 >
35 > This did happen awhile back and I just moved to /dev/sr0 and got on with
36 > life so didnt go into it in too much detail.
37 >
38 > BillK
43 Bill,
44 From the link you provided:
45
46 "From now on, udev will only create /dev/cdrom for the first optical
47 drive, and if the drive is capable /dev/dvd. No other devices will
48 get any compatibility symlinks or enumerated device names like cdrom1,
49 cdrom2, and so on. The /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd links have by default
50 a negative link priority, which will cause them to be overwritten by
51 any other device which clains the same names with already existing
52 udev rules."
53
54 According to the above info Kay didn't single-handedly eliminate
55 /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd.
56
57 I understand lots of folks are quite unhappy with udev and some
58 of the decisions Kay has been taking. (I do real LKML!) :-)
59
60 Anyway, I'm not saying it isn't on purpose.
61
62 Cheers,
63 Mark