From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Performance problem at writing big files and Multitasking
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:39:04
1 Hi Daniel,
2 on Saturday, 2007-02-10 at 12:49:14, you wrote:
3 > I will give short overview what i have tried so far.
4 >
5 > 1. Trying different I/O Scheduler ( cfq anticipatory and deadline)
6 > 2. Enabling Low latency kernel and Preemptible kernel
7 > 3. Setting 1000 HZ for timer frequency
8 > 4. Tried the new kernel 2.6.19-gentoo-r6 and even the testing version
9 > 2.6.20-gentoo with core 2 enabled in processor type
10
11 Oh, so it is a multicore CPU---sorry if you mentioned it already, I
12 had deleted the start of the thread already when I read Benno's advice.
13 In that case, try 100 Hz scheduling period as well. I've had very bad
14 experiences with I/O and 250 Hz or higher on a dual Xeon. My guess is
15 that it was a cache effect and therefore shouldn't happen on the
16 Core2Duo, but it might still be worth a try.
17
18 > As i am using Xfce i installed the diskperf-plugin which monitors disk
19 > I/O. The monitoring is divided in disk-read and disk-write.
20 > I recognized that every time when reading stops writing starts. So is
21 > this staggering of writing to disk normal as the programs have to read
22 > data they want to write to disk? On my previous machine i didn't
23 > recognize such a behaviour.
24
25 So you're reading and writing from/to the same disk? I'd expect that
26 behavior then, because the I/O scheduler tries to satisfy requests with
27 as little thrashing as possible. So if there are enough write requests
28 queued up it may keep the HD busy writing for a while before reading the
29 next chunk from somewhere else.
30
31 cheers!
32 Matthias
33 --
34 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
35 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665