From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Performance problem at writing big files and Multitasking
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 11:55:54
1 Hi i am back again!
2
3 Unfortunately my problem is still bugging me!
4
5 I will give short overview what i have tried so far.
6
7 1. Trying different I/O Scheduler ( cfq anticipatory and deadline)
8 2. Enabling Low latency kernel and Preemptible kernel
9 3. Setting 1000 HZ for timer frequency
10 4. Tried the new kernel 2.6.19-gentoo-r6 and even the testing version
11 2.6.20-gentoo with core 2 enabled in processor type
12
13 Nothing seems to help.
14
15 Hdparm also shows me that my disk has
16 IO_support = 0 (16-bit) set instead of
17 IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
18 I can't set it to 32 bit as hdparm can only display settings for sata
19 disks but not alter it.
20 I tried sdparm and blktool but there seems to be no option for it.
21
22 As i am using Xfce i installed the diskperf-plugin which monitors disk
23 I/O. The monitoring is divided in disk-read and disk-write.
24 I recognized that every time when reading stops writing starts. So is
25 this staggering of writing to disk normal as the programs have to read
26 data they want to write to disk? On my previous machine i didn't
27 recognize such a behaviour.
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list