From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lost /boot recovery options?
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 15:41:51
1 On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 15:07:06 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > I somehow lost /boot on an amd64 (turion) laptop. I have an old copy
4 > of grub.conf, but no backup of the entire /boot dir. Since I do not
5 > have another amd64 system, can I just copy over most of the
6 > (non arch dependant files) and recreate the arch dependant files?
7 > The system is still booted up, so I need to make repairs before
8 > rebooting again.
9
10 Re-install the kernel with "cd /uusr/src/linux && make install".
11 Re-emerge GRUB
12 Install GRUB to the MBR again (this step may not be necessary, but it's
13 best to be safe).
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 An expert is nothing more than an ordinary person away from home.