From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] lost /boot recovery options?
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 15:12:43
1 Hello,
2
3 I somehow lost /boot on an amd64 (turion) laptop. I have an old copy
4 of grub.conf, but no backup of the entire /boot dir. Since I do not
5 have another amd64 system, can I just copy over most of the
6 (non arch dependant files) and recreate the arch dependant files?
7 The system is still booted up, so I need to make repairs before
8 rebooting again.
9
10 I've built a new kernel and copied it over to /boot. I've copied
11 over the /boot/grub/grub.conf file from an archive.
12
13 Once I copy of the non-arch_dependant files (not sure which ones
14 those are) do I need to run grub again?
15
16 Besides the kernel, are there any arch unique files I need to
17 recreate or copy from somewhere off the net?
18
19 Any ideas or guidance as to how to recover, without reinstallation
20 are most appreciated.
23 James
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list