From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Machine completely broken; Ncursed!
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 01:52:22
1 On 04/12/2015 09:38 PM, »Q« wrote:
2 > On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 21:24:48 -0400
3 > Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 04/12/2015 09:15 PM, »Q« wrote:
6 >>> Before you pore through it, I guess I should point out that it's not
7 >>> causing me any problems -- I was just curious about why it would be
8 >>> a bad idea for me to manage those PYTHON_* variables myself. I
9 >>> guess the most notable thing about my make.conf is that I'm one of
10 >>> those crazy USE="-*" people.
11 >> It's not a bad idea to manage the PYTHON_TARGETS,
12 >> PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET, and RUBY_TARGET variables if you *need* a
13 >> specific version of python or ruby. If you do not, I would say it is
14 >> bad. These are set in the profile so that the maintainers can decide
15 >> when to update to a new stable version. Since all of the various
16 >> python and ruby libraries are installed from source, it's generally a
17 >> good idea to wait for the maintainers to stabilize a certain version
18 >> since that means the library support is also good.
19 > How can I find out whether the profile is setting those variables?
20 > ISTM the emerge errors I posted earlier, which happen if I get rid of
21 > those variables in make.conf, indicate that they are not being set at
22 > all.
23
24 You can find all the defaults here:
25 /usr/portage/profiles/base/make.defaults. I don't think the KDE profile
26 overrides any of the python/ruby stuff, just USE. It's strange that you
27 are getting that error from util-linux; I would recommend getting rid of
28 the USE_PYTHON="2.7" line from make.conf and, personally, avoid having
29 so many USE flags in make.conf.
30
31 Alec