From: Paul Hoy <paul.hoy@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:03:31
1 On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 22:00 +0200, Peter Karlsson wrote:
2 > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Paul Hoy wrote:
3 >
4 > > I really like Gentoo and I like that fact that it does a pretty good job at
5 > > supporting Gnome, however, it's still behind other releases, such as Fedora,
6 > > in terms of when it releases updates, etc.
7 >
8 > I find that hard to believe...
11 I know, I would find it hard to believe too. But, just a simple
12 comparision with the Fedora feedlist will show you that this is
13 generally true. Coincidently, I received a bunch of Fedora 3 & 4 email
14 updates earlier today, which shows that Gentoo is behind 23 out of 24 of
15 the updates, some of them quite significantly. Most of them are
16 KDE-related files, so normally I would have never noticed this. I'll
17 keep the list for awhile in case anyone is interested in reviewing it.
18 Of course, you can also view the Fedora feedlist website. I should also
19 add that I noted about eight random and recent examples. Finally, other
20 users who joined the thread have also provided examples.
23 > > Linux from Scratch looks very interesting: it appears to rapidly support the
24 > > latest updates and it has decent documentation. Does any one have any
25 > > perspectives on Linux from Scratch, from a Gentoo point-of-view? Does anyone
26 > > wish to share a comparison of the two?
27 >
28 > The short version:
29 >
30 > LFS is for those who wishes to learn how to build an operating system from
31 > scratch. Or for control-freaks (like me). Or a combination of both... :-)
32 >
33 > Gentoo is a more practical version of LFS, where "practical" means less
34 > time-consuming, since you don't have to install each package (and it's
35 > dependencies) yourself and there are default settings/scripts that
36 > usually works ok with no/minor tweaking. Though you can install a package
37 > manager in LFS too (like rpm, apt, ports etc.).
40 I think I'm a combination of the two also.
43 Thanks.
46 > HTH
47 >
48 > Best regards