From: Peter Karlsson <petekarl@××××××××××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:11:40
1 On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Paul Hoy wrote:
2
3 > I really like Gentoo and I like that fact that it does a pretty good job at
4 > supporting Gnome, however, it's still behind other releases, such as Fedora,
5 > in terms of when it releases updates, etc.
6
7 I find that hard to believe...
8
9 > Linux from Scratch looks very interesting: it appears to rapidly support the
10 > latest updates and it has decent documentation. Does any one have any
11 > perspectives on Linux from Scratch, from a Gentoo point-of-view? Does anyone
12 > wish to share a comparison of the two?
13
14 The short version:
15
16 LFS is for those who wishes to learn how to build an operating system from
17 scratch. Or for control-freaks (like me). Or a combination of both... :-)
18
19 Gentoo is a more practical version of LFS, where "practical" means less
20 time-consuming, since you don't have to install each package (and it's
21 dependencies) yourself and there are default settings/scripts that
22 usually works ok with no/minor tweaking. Though you can install a package
23 manager in LFS too (like rpm, apt, ports etc.).
24
25 HTH
26
27 Best regards