From: David <david@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gnome audio (mixer) question [SOLVED YET AGAIN]
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:27:52
1 walt wrote:
2 > On 10/25/2009 08:19 AM, walt wrote:
3 >
4 > > Merging gnome-media with the pulseaudio USE flag breaks
5 > > gnome-volume-control most horribly IMO, but OTOH I don't
6 > > understand pulseaudio, so maybe I'm wrong.
7 >
8 > I found the gnome 2.26 upgrade guide, which points to the
9 > pulseaudio documentation.
10 >
11 > It seems that pulseaudio has its own mixer control (not
12 > included in gentoo's pulseaudio package) so maybe it does
13 > make sense to remove that function from gnome's volume
14 > control applet.
15 >
16 > However, the most important thing I learned is that I have
17 > no use whatever for pulseaudio -- and I doubt that many
18 > other people do, either.
19 >
20 > It seems to be a massively complex solution hunting for a
21 > problem. How many of us want/need to play two or more
22 > soundtracks at the same time?
23 >
24 > If I'm wrong about this, please correct me. I'd like to
25 > know why all those devs spent so much energy building it.
26 >
27 > Thanks.
31 It coming from upstream (red hat-fedora) and Lennart Poettering
32 You can read some of the reasoning here;
33 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeaturePulseaudio
34
35 The bottom line is we will need to get use to it at some point not sure
36 when that will be. I did come up with a little guide;
37 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-789181.html
38
39 I have been using it for a while and for the most part it has been fine.
40
41 -david