From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X-forwarding questions
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:48:13
1 On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > When I ssh -X, start gimp, close gimp, and close the ssh session, the
5 > terminal prompt disappears and only the cursor is visible in the
6 > terminal. I have to ctrl+c to bring the prompt back. This doesn't
7 > happen with ssh -X unless I open gimp during the session.
10 I see this sometimes with ssh even when I don't run an X app remotely.
11 I think it's an ssh thing and my guess is that it's local, not remote.
12 If I don't hit control C, go to another machine and shell into the
13 same remote machine my login on that end from the first machine is
14 gone.
15
16 >> Btw, the -C option is unnecessary unless you are using a very slow connection.
17 >
18 > Using -C, gimp is about 10x more responsive than if I don't. I was
19 > surprised too. My laptop and the "remote" system are 15 feet away
20 > from each other on the same wireless network, with the router in
21 > between.
24 I agree. Going across the net I find -C to be quite helpful running
25 something like Firefox.
26
27 Note that since I manage the machine at the other end I actually use
28
29 ssh -X -Y -C -c blowfish
30
31 The -Y seems to let a few more things work. Not a big deal but it's
32 the way I do it.
33
34 I think -c blowfish may be the default but I type is anyway.
35
36 Cheers,
37 Mark