From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X-forwarding questions
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 22:25:05
1 >> I just enabled X-forwarding and I've got a few questions for you guys.
2 >>
3 >> Should I have any security concerns about doing this?
4 >
5 > Not more than usual. I assume your online computers have been secured
6 > (to a reasonable degree)... Of course if anyone has access to your
7 > remote machine (that you run X apps on) they could theoretically
8 > "listen" in on your X session (man xauth for details).
9
10 Alright, I won't leave remote gimp open all day then.
11
12 >> It looks like gimp comes through with an older/blockier version of gtk
13 >> or something. Any way to fix that?
14 >
15 > Well, gimp is using local resources on the machine you run it on. So
16 > it's using whatever version of gtk that is installed on your remote
17 > machine. Is it the fonts that are "blocky"? If so it may be an DPI issue ...
18
19 That's the weird part. Local gimp and remote gimp side-by-side on the
20 same screen look different. For example, the edges of the buttons and
21 widgets in local gimp are rounded but they aren't in remote gimp. Not
22 a big deal though.
23
24 >> I'm starting X-forwarding like 'ssh -XC 192.168.100.1 gimp' and when I
25 >> close gimp it looks like the terminal is still running the process.
26 >> Is it supposed to come back to the prompt?
27 >
28 > Hm... yes, if you are starting gimp that way it may be that ssh doesn't
29 > recognise that gimp is closed so it maintains the connection. Have you
30 > tried to log in with ssh -X and run it from there instead?
31
32 When I ssh -X, start gimp, close gimp, and close the ssh session, the
33 terminal prompt disappears and only the cursor is visible in the
34 terminal. I have to ctrl+c to bring the prompt back. This doesn't
35 happen with ssh -X unless I open gimp during the session.
36
37 > Btw, the -C option is unnecessary unless you are using a very slow connection.
38
39 Using -C, gimp is about 10x more responsive than if I don't. I was
40 surprised too. My laptop and the "remote" system are 15 feet away
41 from each other on the same wireless network, with the router in
42 between.
43
44 - Grant