From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X-forwarding questions
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:30:14
1 Am Dienstag, den 27.01.2009, 14:25 -0800 schrieb Grant:
2 > Using -C, gimp is about 10x more responsive than if I don't. I was
3 > surprised too. My laptop and the "remote" system are 15 feet away
4 > from each other on the same wireless network, with the router in
5 > between.
6 Most X programs store their bitmaps in the X server - not the program.
7 You can see this if you look at the memory usage. So lots of data is
8 transfered if using gimp :)
9
10 BTW: If you can use cable instead of wireless, you may have a _much_
11 better experience, because of the latency that wireless adds.
12
13 BTW2: If your bandwidth is really small, you should use VNC instead of
14 ssh-X - though that's not to nice with image editing :)
15
16 Bye,
17 Daniel