From: "Hervé Guillemet" <hg@×××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo chroot with old glibc
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 22:35:29
1 Le 21/06/2020 à 23:08, Rich Freeman a écrit :
2 > On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 5:19 PM Hervé Guillemet <hg@×××××××.fr> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Or do you have any suggestion for alternatives to this gentoo chroot ?
5 >> (I'd prefer avoid installing some CentOS or Ubuntu as virtual guests).
6 >
7 > You're of course free to do it any way you wish, but if I wanted to
8 > create packages for various distros, I'd probably just follow their
9 > instructions for doing so.
10 >
11 > If you're making Ubuntu 16.04 packages I suspect it would be just a
12 > lot less fuss all around to do it from an Ubuntu 16.04 container, and
13 > so on.
14 >
15 > And if you're just building binaries and creating tarballs with them,
16 > well, why? If people want to manually deal with stuff the source is
17 > already fine. If they want the benefits of a package manager they're
18 > going to want packages. And if you're hoping to encourage distros to
19 > do the packaging for you, they're probably only going to do that from
20 > source anyway.
21
22 In my case the application is a Java software embedding some native
23 components. I don't want to limit the target system to some specific
24 distros and specific versions, I just want the software to run on a
25 large variety of linux boxes. All I have to do is to avoid linking with
26 too recent libc and libstdc++.
27 Version 2.29+ of libc is particularly annoying because they introduce
28 new version of pow(), log() and exp()... so any simple mathematical
29 library compiled with 2.29+ won't run on linux distro using 2.28-.
30 As for the packaging, I'm using a jlink image in a tarball, and will
31 probably use jpackage soon.
34 > I imagine most distros have a fairly straightforward packaging system,
35 > and I suspect a lot of CI systems have plugins to churn out packages
36 > for them automatically. So why maintain some Gentoo chroot and
37 > carefully curate every single library on them to match some entirely
38 > different distro? You're going to run into stuff where Gentoo doesn't
39 > have the version you need in the repo, and you'll be fighting auto
40 > updates, and so on.
41 >
42 > But, sure, you can get Gentoo to install whatever you want as long as
43 > you don't mind manually picking packages, or maintaining your own repo
44 > where you carefully curate this stuff.
47 Thanks for the suggestion. I believe my local build system with the
48 chroot is enough for my current needs but I'll probably have to use a CI
49 system if it becomes untractable or decide to use target distro
50 packaging system.
53 Hervé