From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo chroot with old glibc
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 21:08:35
1 On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 5:19 PM Hervé Guillemet <hg@×××××××.fr> wrote:
2 >
3 > Or do you have any suggestion for alternatives to this gentoo chroot ?
4 > (I'd prefer avoid installing some CentOS or Ubuntu as virtual guests).
5
6 You're of course free to do it any way you wish, but if I wanted to
7 create packages for various distros, I'd probably just follow their
8 instructions for doing so.
9
10 If you're making Ubuntu 16.04 packages I suspect it would be just a
11 lot less fuss all around to do it from an Ubuntu 16.04 container, and
12 so on.
13
14 And if you're just building binaries and creating tarballs with them,
15 well, why? If people want to manually deal with stuff the source is
16 already fine. If they want the benefits of a package manager they're
17 going to want packages. And if you're hoping to encourage distros to
18 do the packaging for you, they're probably only going to do that from
19 source anyway.
20
21 I imagine most distros have a fairly straightforward packaging system,
22 and I suspect a lot of CI systems have plugins to churn out packages
23 for them automatically. So why maintain some Gentoo chroot and
24 carefully curate every single library on them to match some entirely
25 different distro? You're going to run into stuff where Gentoo doesn't
26 have the version you need in the repo, and you'll be fighting auto
27 updates, and so on.
28
29 But, sure, you can get Gentoo to install whatever you want as long as
30 you don't mind manually picking packages, or maintaining your own repo
31 where you carefully curate this stuff.
34 Rich