From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 15:07:48
1 On 21/12/2016 11:05, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 20 Dec 2016 19:24:51 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> Looks like a reasonably straightforward set of blockers. Your core
4 >> problem seems to be that portage wants to install kmail:4 but if I read
5 >> you correctly earlier in the thread, you want to install kmail-16.12.0.
6 >>
7 >> Correct?
8 >
9 > Yes, and I'd also like just to update the system against the portage tree.
10 >
11 >> So what wants to install kmail:4 if that's not what you are after?
12 >
13 > If I clear everything out of the way beforehand, it's happy to install lots
14 > of 16.12.0 packages, including KMail, but then it wants to reinstall the
15 > superseded packages as well, which is where the mess appears.
16 >
17 >> please re-run the emerge command with option -t that produced that wilco
18 >> file.
19 >
20 > I will if I can remember what I did: the command history was lost when I
21 > recovered from backup.
22 >
23 >> p.s. I have a strong hunch that the time has now come where kmail:4
24 >> simply cannot co-exist with KDE-5 anymore...
25 >
26 > I thought we'd reached the point where kmail:4 could just be quietly
27 > forgotten. And not before time.
28 >
29 >> I see a few more things you can look at, but one thing at a time
33 After a day at work away from gentoo-user, here's what I'd do:
34
35 The main problem seems to be something pulling in kmail:4, so
36
37 emerge -C kmail:4
38 depclean to get rid of its deps
39 add kmail:4 to your package.mask
40
41 and run a full battery of updates, like I use:
42
43 emerge -avuND world
44 emerge @preserved-world
45 depclean
46 revdep-rebuild
49 At some point with that mask you might hit a snag, but I reckon the
50 error message will have enough info to tell you what's the real source
51 of the problem
55 Alan McKinnon
56 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com