From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 09:06:30
1 On Tuesday 20 Dec 2016 19:24:51 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Looks like a reasonably straightforward set of blockers. Your core
3 > problem seems to be that portage wants to install kmail:4 but if I read
4 > you correctly earlier in the thread, you want to install kmail-16.12.0.
5 >
6 > Correct?
7
8 Yes, and I'd also like just to update the system against the portage tree.
9
10 > So what wants to install kmail:4 if that's not what you are after?
11
12 If I clear everything out of the way beforehand, it's happy to install lots
13 of 16.12.0 packages, including KMail, but then it wants to reinstall the
14 superseded packages as well, which is where the mess appears.
15
16 > please re-run the emerge command with option -t that produced that wilco
17 > file.
18
19 I will if I can remember what I did: the command history was lost when I
20 recovered from backup.
21
22 > p.s. I have a strong hunch that the time has now come where kmail:4
23 > simply cannot co-exist with KDE-5 anymore...
24
25 I thought we'd reached the point where kmail:4 could just be quietly
26 forgotten. And not before time.
27
28 > I see a few more things you can look at, but one thing at a time
31 Regards
32 Peter