From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 17:27:06
1 On 20/12/2016 19:09, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 20 Dec 2016 11:17:54 J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >> On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 09:59:44 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >>> /mnt/main is where my rescue system mounts the main system for backup.
5 >>> Do I need to add --xattrs to the tar command?
6 >>
7 >> I do, when it comes to creating a stage4 tarfile. Not sure if this is
8 >> necessary.
9 >>
10 >> Maybe that is used somewhere, or is it possible you miss something in the
11 >> main system mount?
12 >
13 > I'm sure the problem isn't in my backup script. It's always worked perfectly
14 > before. All the same, I have now added --xattrs to every tar command in it.
15 >
16 > D'you want to know what else I've been doing all day? Go on, do you?
17 >
18 > I'll tell you anyway.
19 >
20 > To stand any chance of upgrading KDE apps to 16.12.0, I first evicted every
21 > package returned by eix -Cc dev-qt and eix -Cc kde-plasma, plus a few more
22 > individual packages that were also getting in the way. (The eix man page is
23 > helpful in showing how to extract just the cat/pkg from a list of package
24 > names. Full marks for ingenuity!)
25 >
26 > Then I ran a -uaDvU world to install 300 "new" packages. Hours later, I had
27 > a load more @preserved-rebuild packages to install. I've attached the
28 > output, which shows that it wants to go back to the superseded versions. [0]
29 > shows what it thinks it can install, while [1] lists all the things that
30 > stop it doing anything
31 >
32 > Still absolutely no go. Oddly enough, BGO has only a few 16.12.0 package
33 > bugs and they're all about single packages - nothing to indicate the system-
34 > wide problems I'm having, so it looks as though I have a combination of
35 > packages that cause problems themselves.
36 >
37 > I've now reverted to the good backup I made this morning. I shall have to
38 > consider whether to start building a new system from scratch, a bit at a
39 > time, until I find the culprit. It'd keep me occupied over Christmas,
40 > anyway.
41 >
42 > [0] wilco
43 > [1] blocks.etc
47 Looks like a reasonably straightforward set of blockers. Your core
48 problem seems to be that portage wants to install kmail:4 but if I read
49 you correctly earlier in the thread, you want to install kmail-16.12.0.
50
51 Correct?
52
53 So what wants to install kmail:4 if that's not what you are after?
54
55 please re-run the emerge command with option -t that produced that wilco
56 file.
57
58 p.s. I have a strong hunch that the time has now come where kmail:4
59 simply cannot co-exist with KDE-5 anymore...
60
61 I see a few more things you can look at, but one thing at a time
64 Alan McKinnon
65 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com