From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 17:09:48
1 On Tuesday 20 Dec 2016 11:17:54 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 09:59:44 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > /mnt/main is where my rescue system mounts the main system for backup.
4 > > Do I need to add --xattrs to the tar command?
5 >
6 > I do, when it comes to creating a stage4 tarfile. Not sure if this is
7 > necessary.
8 >
9 > Maybe that is used somewhere, or is it possible you miss something in the
10 > main system mount?
11
12 I'm sure the problem isn't in my backup script. It's always worked perfectly
13 before. All the same, I have now added --xattrs to every tar command in it.
14
15 D'you want to know what else I've been doing all day? Go on, do you?
16
17 I'll tell you anyway.
18
19 To stand any chance of upgrading KDE apps to 16.12.0, I first evicted every
20 package returned by eix -Cc dev-qt and eix -Cc kde-plasma, plus a few more
21 individual packages that were also getting in the way. (The eix man page is
22 helpful in showing how to extract just the cat/pkg from a list of package
23 names. Full marks for ingenuity!)
24
25 Then I ran a -uaDvU world to install 300 "new" packages. Hours later, I had
26 a load more @preserved-rebuild packages to install. I've attached the
27 output, which shows that it wants to go back to the superseded versions. [0]
28 shows what it thinks it can install, while [1] lists all the things that
29 stop it doing anything
30
31 Still absolutely no go. Oddly enough, BGO has only a few 16.12.0 package
32 bugs and they're all about single packages - nothing to indicate the system-
33 wide problems I'm having, so it looks as though I have a combination of
34 packages that cause problems themselves.
35
36 I've now reverted to the good backup I made this morning. I shall have to
37 consider whether to start building a new system from scratch, a bit at a
38 time, until I find the culprit. It'd keep me occupied over Christmas,
39 anyway.
40
41 [0] wilco
42 [1] blocks.etc