From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system uptime
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 13:58:28
1 On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 12:04:43AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
4 >> How long do desktop users typically leave their systems between reboots ?
5 >> How long between power off/on's ?
6 >
7 > I switch my PC on in the morning when I want to start using it. I
8 > switch it off before going to bed, or going out shopping, or things like
9 > that. I don't like wasting electricity.
12 Most discussions I've read on this matter tend to end up around here,
13 both for economy and wear. Turn on the computer when you are going to
14 need it, and turn it off at the end of the day, or similar. It
15 probably isn't worth powering it off for lunch (though I do put it to
16 sleep). For my server it runs 24x7. I'm always amused when I look at
17 the SMART stats on failed drives. They usually have thousands of
18 hours of power-on time, and maybe a dozen spin-ups. Then again, that
19 one batch of Seagate 1TB drives seemed to die barely broken in
20 (suffice it to say I've gotten very proficient at their RMA process,
21 which is decent).
24 Rich