From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrade question: is it adviseable?
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 20:40:36
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 03 June 2009 18:39:56 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Why not copy the config from the old kernel over and run make
5 >> oldconfig? May need to do some cleaning after genkernel tho.
8 > That's the correct way :-)
9 >
10 > But the OP asked if there was some magic way to get genkernel to use the same
11 > config as #SOME_OTHER_KERNEL.
12 >
13 > Which of course makes no sense as there can be multiple versions and configs
14 > present.
15 >
16 > The small remaining part of me that is still mostly unaffected by the onset of
17 > senility seems to remember genkernel being able to do something expressed as:
18 >
19 > zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/src/linux/.config
20 > genkernel [....]
21 >
22 > Which I suppose is a reasonable thing for an app like genkernel to do.
23 > But I could also just be imagining it. It happens :-)
28 True, I did go a little off base. I did try genkernel once a long time
29 ago. It included things for hardware I didn't have then omitted the
30 driver for my IDE chipset, did include that slow as crap generic tho.
31 Anyway, to me, genkernel is a waste of time. This is Gentoo, we want
32 only what we need and not one bit more.
33
34 Dale
35