From: Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrade question: is it adviseable?
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 03:04:52
1 On (03/06/09 15:40) Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 03 June 2009 18:39:56 Dale wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> Why not copy the config from the old kernel over and run make
6 > >> oldconfig? May need to do some cleaning after genkernel tho.
7 > >>
8 > >
9 > > That's the correct way :-)
10 > >
11 > > But the OP asked if there was some magic way to get genkernel to use the same
12 > > config as #SOME_OTHER_KERNEL.
13 > >
14 > > Which of course makes no sense as there can be multiple versions and configs
15 > > present.
16 > >
17 > > The small remaining part of me that is still mostly unaffected by the onset of
18 > > senility seems to remember genkernel being able to do something expressed as:
19 > >
20 > > zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/src/linux/.config
21 > > genkernel [....]
22 > >
23 > > Which I suppose is a reasonable thing for an app like genkernel to do.
24 > > But I could also just be imagining it. It happens :-)
29 > True, I did go a little off base. I did try genkernel once a long time
30 > ago. It included things for hardware I didn't have then omitted the
31 > driver for my IDE chipset, did include that slow as crap generic tho.
32 > Anyway, to me, genkernel is a waste of time. This is Gentoo, we want
33 > only what we need and not one bit more.
34 >
35 > Dale
36 >
38 >
39 Hi,
40
41 genkernel uses a default config-file, check
42 /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86/kernel-config.
43 i've backed it up, changing it to current .config.
44 Works always (haven't used it recently though).
45 HTH, Rumen