From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Again: Critical bugs considered invalid
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 16:15:43
1 I see complaints about the bug reporting style, but no mea culpas. I
2 had an experience with gentoo bugs recently which confirms his
3 experience on a smaller level. The apache ebuilds used to recognize
4 USERDIR to override the default "public_html" value. The 2.4 ebuilds
5 discarded that for no reason. I filed a bug which was promptly closed
6 for no good reason, only the bogus answer that the new configuraion
7 files layout took care of it. I reopened it with a more detailed
8 description of the problem and included the URL of the apache
9 documentation which explains that the suexec binary has to be compiled
10 with the USERDIR values known at compile time. A week later, the bug
11 was properly closed with a better solution than the old 2.2 solution,
12 and a more permanent solution than my home grown work around.
13
14 Some may remember me from whining a month or two ago about the
15 atrocious color philosophy with emerge. The reaction both times from
16 the gentoo community was merely a repeat of what I have come to expect
17 from several years of my own and from friends' and colleagues'
18 experiences: blame the messenger. Lash out at the poster, don't
19 bother to even investigate the problem. When in doubt, scream and
20 shout, run in circles, pull a pout.
21
22 I seldom complain any more. It's not worth the hassle and feedback,
23 and it accomplishes nothing. The gentoo developers have enough bad
24 eggs to tasint everybody. There are plenty of good eggs, but they
25 need to speak up and stop the bad eggs from ruining their reputation.
26 I liken it to cops: as long as the good ones won't turn in the bad
27 ones for framing people, taking bribes, and general corrupt practices,
28 the good cops are going to be tarred with the same brush as the bad
29 ones.
33 Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
34 GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
35 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list