From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is there a way to keyword a whole overlay as ~arch ?
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 09:32:46
1 On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 20:00:47 -0800, Michael Higgins wrote:
2
3 > > Yep, you just need to know the overlay name. In
4 > > package.accept_keywords:
5 > >
6 > > */*::overlay-name ~amd64
7 > >
8 > > The "*/*" syntax means any category, any package name. The "::" then
9 > > specifies the repository name. If you don't know the repository name,
10 > > it can often be found in path/to/overlay/profiles/repo_name.
11
12 > I wonder, can we get a hint of this function echo-ed at the end of every
13 > new layman install? It would make using, say, perl-experimental, far
14 > less unwieldy than without.
15
16 It is documented in man portage, in the wildcards subsection of the atom
17 definition part.
18
19 > I had no idea this was possible, but it seems the only way to use the
20 > overlay without making of mess of package.accept_keywords, which is
21 > what I have had when installing anything useful in the perl development
22 > area.
23 >
24 > Does this make any sense? Do all the overlays work that way, that is,
25 > kw-masking everything so you have to enable the ~arch per package? This
26 > always seemed absurd to me, as I added the overlay, I must have meant
27 > to use it... but anyway...
28
29 You are running a stable arch, using only ebuilds that have been through
30 Gentoo QA and user testing. Presumably you do that for a reason, so
31 portage suddenly allowing installation of untested packages from a random
32 repository goes against what you have told it you want in make.conf.
33
34 Adding an overlay to layman does not necessarily mean you want everything
35 that overlay offers. In some cases there will be newer, less tested,
36 versions of packages you already have installed, packages you may not
37 want randomly updated.
38
39 The only way portage can know what you want is if you tell it so, the
40 current approach is the safest, it only breaks what you tell it to break.
41 This is Gentoo where you do the thinking and the system does what you
42 tell it (which may not always be what you want).
46 Neil Bothwick
47
48 WinErr 00A: Promotional literature overflow - Mailbox full