From: Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is there a way to keyword a whole overlay as ~arch ?
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 04:01:02
1 On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 20:14:17 -0500
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 01/26/2014 05:12 PM, Thanasis wrote:
5 > > I am following stable (ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64").
6 > > In order to install the "mate" desktop I need to install the mate
7 > > overlay and keyword all its packages as ~amd64.
8 > > Is there a way to do it easily for the whole overlay?
11 > Yep, you just need to know the overlay name. In
12 > package.accept_keywords:
13 >
14 > */*::overlay-name ~amd64
15 >
16 > The "*/*" syntax means any category, any package name. The "::" then
17 > specifies the repository name. If you don't know the repository name,
18 > it can often be found in path/to/overlay/profiles/repo_name.
22 I wonder, can we get a hint of this function echo-ed at the end of every
23 new layman install? It would make using, say, perl-experimental, far
24 less unwieldy than without.
25
26 (Apologies in advance for the noise.)
27
28 I had no idea this was possible, but it seems the only way to use the
29 overlay without making of mess of package.accept_keywords, which is
30 what I have had when installing anything useful in the perl development
31 area.
32
33 Does this make any sense? Do all the overlays work that way, that is,
34 kw-masking everything so you have to enable the ~arch per package? This
35 always seemed absurd to me, as I added the overlay, I must have meant
36 to use it... but anyway...
37
38 I suppose it should be printed in red "use if you know what it
39 means", kind of thing. I can see it being a PITA if it breaks stuff in
40 the main gentoo tree.
43 . . .
44
45 FWIW, I tried adding that incantation and emerging world, which gave no
46 changes to my install.
47
48 Then I tried:
49 emerge -av dev-perl/Catalyst-Model-DBIC-Schema
50
51 (Which created a bloated keyword file on my other machine.)
52
53 This time, it only wants to unmask things perl in the gentoo tree...
54 but --autounmask-write proposes to list every overlay dep as a comment.
55
56 Ugh.
57
58 Before, I'd do something like:
59
60 mv /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords ~/
61 mkdir /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
62 cp
63 package.accept_keywords /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/99_portage
64 eix -c --only-in-overlay 0 -C dev-perl|grep '(~' |cut -d ' '
65 -f 2 | while read a ; do echo $a ~x86 ;done
66 > /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/00_perl
67
68 emerge -auDNtv world
69
70 Nothing to merge; quitting.
71
72 ... Which I did. Then /me thinks, for a change.
73
74 If */*::overlay-name ~amd64, then:
75
76 dev-perl/*::gentoo ~amd64 should work too.
77
78 Now,
79
80 emerge -av dev-perl/Catalyst-Model-DBIC-Schema
81
82 Gives:
83
84 Total: 37 packages (34 upgrades, 3 new), Size of downloads: 5,905 kB
85
86 Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
87
88 And no guff from portage. OMG, what a treat. I wept.
89
90 . . .
91
92 So wow, if I'd known about that before now, it would have saved me
93 hours, if not days, worth of hassle.
94
95 I think that should be the recommendation for anyone who installs the
96 perl overlay. Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems to DWIW.
97
98 Thanks Michael. Very helpful to know, at least. Does anyone who may
99 have read this far think this would be a good thing to mention from the
100 start for a new user of an overlay, like echoed at the end of emerging
101 layman, or adding a new overlay?
102
103 And, yes, it's a full moon, so I'm posting to the list. As is my
104 habit. ;-)
105
106 Cheers [I recommend Flat Tail "seriously budget" barley wine],
107
108 - mykhyggz (who lost his .sig)