From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Overclocking CPU causes segmentation fault
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 14:23:14
1 On 23/01/13 14:09, Dale wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 23/01/13 03:55, Dale wrote:
4 >>> [...]
5 >>> I tired overclocking once a good while back. It just wasn't worth it.
6 >>
7 >> I've been running a Core 2 Duo from 2.4Ghz to 3.4Ghz for over three
8 >> years. Instead of a new CPU, I only bought a €30 cooler.
9 >>
10 >> Oh, it *was* totally worth it. Mainly for games, where the
11 >> performance difference was really dramatic.
14 > I doubt most get that lucky tho. After all, overclocking is mostly
15 > luck. Some CPU's won't overclock that much long term because of either
16 > the CPU itself or some other component that can't handle the increase.
17 > When you overclock, you are searching for that weak link. Most of the
18 > time, you find that weak link.
19
20 In my experience, most of the time you can overclock. The issue is with
21 the user not knowing exactly how to do it. You need to understand a few
22 things and how they affect each other. It's not just a knob you can turn.