From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Overclocking CPU causes segmentation fault
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:09:39
1 On Wednesday 23 January 2013 07:52:03 PM IST, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 23/01/13 14:09, Dale wrote:
3 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> On 23/01/13 03:55, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> [...]
6 >>>> I tired overclocking once a good while back. It just wasn't worth it.
7 >>>
8 >>> I've been running a Core 2 Duo from 2.4Ghz to 3.4Ghz for over three
9 >>> years. Instead of a new CPU, I only bought a €30 cooler.
10 >>>
11 >>> Oh, it *was* totally worth it. Mainly for games, where the
12 >>> performance difference was really dramatic.
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> I doubt most get that lucky tho. After all, overclocking is mostly
16 >> luck. Some CPU's won't overclock that much long term because of either
17 >> the CPU itself or some other component that can't handle the increase.
18 >> When you overclock, you are searching for that weak link. Most of the
19 >> time, you find that weak link.
20 >
21 > In my experience, most of the time you can overclock. The issue is
22 > with the user not knowing exactly how to do it. You need to
23 > understand a few things and how they affect each other. It's not just
24 > a knob you can turn.
28 That pretty much applies to me. I don't know much about hardware stuff.
29 Regarding your 1 Ghz overclock, you probably have good components in
30 terms of RAM & SMPS.
31 When I bought this rig in 2008, I knew nothing about good components,
32 blindly trusted local vendor... also internet shopping wasn't advanced
33 here.
34 So pretty much substandard components.
35
36 Now that I know stuff, I'm thinking of assembling my own AMD FX8350 rig
37 soon by buying components from the web.
38 So, let's close this topic :-)
41 Nilesh Govindarajan
42 http://nileshgr.com