From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Overclocking CPU causes segmentation fault
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:36:07
1 On 23/01/13 17:09, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 23 January 2013 07:52:03 PM IST, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> [...]
4 >> In my experience, most of the time you can overclock. The issue is
5 >> with the user not knowing exactly how to do it. You need to
6 >> understand a few things and how they affect each other. It's not just
7 >> a knob you can turn.
8 >
9 > That pretty much applies to me. I don't know much about hardware stuff.
10 > Regarding your 1 Ghz overclock, you probably have good components in
11 > terms of RAM & SMPS.
12 > When I bought this rig in 2008, I knew nothing about good components,
13 > blindly trusted local vendor... also internet shopping wasn't advanced
14 > here.
15 > So pretty much substandard components.
16
17 The part that's really important is the mainboard. RAM doesn't matter.
18 In my case, I had pretty basic 800MHz DDR2 RAM. Raising the FSB would
19 bring it above that, so I changed the DRAM ratio to 1:1, and the RAM
20 then ran at only 600Mhz.
21
22 That was the starting point to rule out RAM problems. After that, I
23 raised FSB but kept the VCore constant until I hit the first
24 instabilities. When that happened, I raised VCore a bit. Rinse and
25 repeat, until the VCore was still below the maximum recommendation by
26 Intel. That happened at 3.4GHz (378MHz FSB * 9 CPU multiplier = 3402MHz
27 CPU clock.) The E6600 CPU I got was an average sample. Others were
28 running it at 3.6GHz (or even higher with water cooling.)
29
30 This was a process that took about 3 days to complete (needs a lot of
31 stability testing.) The good thing about those older CPUs was that the
32 performance boost I got by OCing wasn't just scaling linearly with the
33 CPU frequency. It was scaling *better* than that, because raising the
34 FSB also made the mainboard itself perform better and with lower latencies.
37 > Now that I know stuff, I'm thinking of assembling my own AMD FX8350 rig
38 > soon by buying components from the web.
39 > So, let's close this topic :-)
40
41 As I said above, the mainboard is really the only important factor.