From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kde 4.11.2, akonadi & Kmail2 problems (retrieving folder contents please wait)
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 14:20:16
1 On Wednesday 25 Dec 2013 08:41:25 Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > On Monday I upgraded from kde-4.10.5 to kde-4.11.2 (the latest release
5 > marked as 'amd64' on gentoo), but I had serious problems with kmail2:
6 >
7 > * I could not open any of my mail, kmail is always showing "Retrieving
8 > folder contents please wait". Didn't show up after more than one hour.
9 >
10 > * some akonadi process, kontact and mysqld kept more than two CPUS
11 > permanently busy.
12 >
13 > Consequently, I haven't been able to read my mail :-(
14 >
15 > I tried:
16 > * Restarting the akonadi resource for my local mailbox. No effekt.
17 > * Re-creating the databases by moving ~.local/share/akonadi to akonadi.orig
18 > Akonadi recreated its database successfully, but at the end the same
19 > result. * Akonadi-console: The debugger shows so many entries per second
20 > that I could barely read them. Frequent hangs for a couple of minutes
21 > (thought it died, so I killed it, but then I saw it just had a very large
22 > timeout)
23 >
24 > Then I had to restore 4.10.5 from the backup.
25 >
26 > Now, some of my mail folders got messed up (Mails moved into wrong folders)
27 > Filters are messed up (rules to move to specific folders suddenyl point to
28 > different folders -- that explains the mails in wrong folders ... )
29 >
30 > Is there a way to re-initialize akonadi without risking to lose data and
31 > without having to recreate each and every rule I made?
32 >
33 > Best regards
34 > Alex
35
36 I really sympathise with you Alex because I have been through similar pains
37 myself on one of my machines. That was enough of a lesson for me not to allow
38 this piece of ... to mess up any other boxen. I'm still on kmail-1.13.7 and
39 having thoughts of migrating to T'bird.
40
41 The only way I know of is to restore your akonadi from a back up and if need
42 be your mail folder structure also from a backup. Now if this problem was
43 propagated to your mail server (assuming you run IMAP4) then you'll need to
44 restore the mail server from a back up.
45
46 All this database integration by the KDE team has brought some catastrophic
47 failures even to devs PCs and they have spared some of us from similar pain
48 when they advised that we mask any kde-base/kmail >4.4.11.1-r1. Bitrot is
49 setting in though, so I am not sure how long it may take before I have to move
50 on to a different mail client after the best part of 10 years using kmail.
53 Regards,
54 Mick