From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vixie-cron keeps stopping
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 18:59:23
1 On Friday 16 April 2010 19:22:42 kashani wrote:
2 > On 4/15/2010 1:20 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 15 April 2010 02:58:15 Matt Harrison wrote:
4 > >> I apologise if this has come twice, it didn't appear to post correctly
5 > >> first time, not even on the archives.
6 > >>
7 > >> Its been happening for a while but I haven't got round to find out why,
8 > >> but every so often (anything between a week or an hour) vixie-cron just
9 > >> stops. There's nothing in the logs, the service just stops.
10 > >>
11 > >> I have no idea where to start looking for a culprit so I'm hoping
12 > >> someone here has some good ideas :)
13 > >>
14 > >> thanks in advance
15 > >>
16 > >> Matt
17 > >
18 > > You probably don't want to hear this, but:
19 > >
20 > > vixie-cron is problematic in the extreme. I have endless hassle with it's
21 > > weird behaviours.
22 > >
23 > > Use a different cron daemon.
24 >
25 > Strange. I've never had a problem with it and Gentoo though I use Gentoo
26 > primarily as a server.
27 >
28 > kashani
29
30 +1
31
32 I have been running Vixie's cron for a good few years on 4 different machines
33 (3 different arches) and have not noticed any problems. On the other hand I
34 am only running some basic cron jobs (e.g. , updatedb, mrtg).
35
36 Have you looked at /root/dead.letter in case there is a problem that is
37 captured there (although I would expect to see something in the logs to be
38 honest)?
39 --
40 Regards,
41 Mick