From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Gentoo 64bit from 32bit running enviroment
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 12:12:15
1 On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > On Thursday 24 December 2009 16:33:26 Carlos Moyano Cubillos wrote:
4 > > Dear friends,
5 > >
6 > > I have a gentoo system running 32bit .. and I have a 30GB partition
7 > > available on which I would like to install a 64bit Gentoo to test for
8 > > 64bit extensions processor supports .
11 > > someone could help me and tell me how to proceed with this
12 > > installation from my running system without having to reboot with a
13 > > livecd.
14 >
15 > You have to reboot with a LiveCD.
16 >
17 > Your running 32 bit kernel does not support 64 bit instructions and there
18 > is
19 > no magic voodoo to make it possible. The CPU might understand 64 bit
20 > instructions but the running kernel that drives it definitely does not.
21 >
22 > --
23 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
27 I don't know for sure, but I would guess that if you don't try to use any
28 file from the new 64 bit partition, that would be fine.
29
30 AFAIK you can install a 64 bit system using the 32 bit livecd.
31
32 Just a guess, though
33
34 Francisco
37 "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
38 and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one
39 idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." -
40 George Bernard Shaw