From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Gentoo 64bit from 32bit running enviroment
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:05:48
1 On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 10:05:52 -0200, Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 > On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Alan McKinnon
4 > <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Thursday 24 December 2009 16:33:26 Carlos Moyano Cubillos wrote:
7 >> > Dear friends,
8 >> >
9 >> > I have a gentoo system running 32bit .. and I have a 30GB partition
10 >> > available on which I would like to install a 64bit Gentoo to test for
11 >> > 64bit extensions processor supports .
12 >> >
13 >> >
14 >> > someone could help me and tell me how to proceed with this
15 >> > installation from my running system without having to reboot with a
16 >> > livecd.
17 >>
18 >> You have to reboot with a LiveCD.
19 >>
20 >> Your running 32 bit kernel does not support 64 bit instructions and
21 there
22 >> is
23 >> no magic voodoo to make it possible. The CPU might understand 64 bit
24 >> instructions but the running kernel that drives it definitely does not.
25 >>
26 >> --
27 >> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
31 > I don't know for sure, but I would guess that if you don't try to use
32 any
33 > file from the new 64 bit partition, that would be fine.
34 >
35 > AFAIK you can install a 64 bit system using the 32 bit livecd.
36 >
37 > Just a guess, though
38 >
39 > Francisco
40
41 You can uncompress the stage files and such, but chroot will fail because
42 you will be attempting to run a 64 bits bash binary against the 32 bits
43 underlying kernel, which will not work. The opposite would be possible
44 though, you can chroot to a 32 bit userland from a 64 bits kernel. But not
45 the other way around.
48 Jesús Guerrero