From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/hosts include file?
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 04:38:16
1 On 03/11/2013 12:00 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 05:07:25PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote
3 >
4 >> NAT behind a home router is bad, too. For IPv4, it's only necessary
5 >> because there aren't enough IPv4 addresses to let everyone have a unique
6 >> one.
7 >
8 > The best real reason for moving to IPV6 is address space (or lack
9 > thereof, in the case of IPV4). The people who are truly interested in
10 > speeding up IPV6 adoption should do their best to shut up the internet
11 > hippies who constantly rant and rave about how "NAT is evil". Don't let
12 > the cause get distracted by that unrelated issue. Focus on the core
13 > issue.
14
15 They're two sides of the same coin. If NAT wasn't such a problem,
16 layering RFC1918 address space would solve most of the address space
17 problems. The address space crunch remains a technical problem largely
18 because NAT can't solve it to completion.
19
20 NAT forces a distinction between 'client' and 'server', breaking the
21 'peer' nature of the network. This isn't some hippy egalitarian thing,
22 it means I can't trivially tell my VPS to connect to a backup target on
23 a different network without setting up either a tunnel or a port
24 forward. With IPv6, doing this is so brain-dead easy I never want to be
25 without it again. Once you've experienced IPv6 and appropriate network
26 firewalls, along with the ease of connecting to your own machines from
27 anywhere you want without having to bounce through a third-party
28 management service like Teamviewer, you never want to go back. It's like
29 discovering you've been holding a pencil wrong all your life, or like
30 discovering a better way to tie your shoes; the solution is simple,
31 elegant and surprisingly productive. NAT is like tying your shoes wrong;
32 you don't know how much of a problem it is until you experience life
33 without it.
34
35 And even once you get people comfortable with deploying IPv6, they still
36 want to hold on to NAT; it's like a stubborn stain on their minds.
37
38 It's important to explain that NAT isn't a security measure. In order to
39 operate, it requires what amounts to a stateful firewall...but that
40 doesn't mean that a stateful firewall is difficult to obtain without
41 NAT. People have grown so accustomed to the presence of NAT and NAT's
42 inherent implications on inbound traffic that they wind up conflating
43 the two in their minds, making actual understanding of their network's
44 security that much more difficult to comprehend. So, yeah, NAT is evil.
45
46 Looking for privacy in your addresses? That's what privacy extensions
47 are for, and they're enabled by default on Windows and Ubuntu. (I
48 haven't looked on Gentoo...)
49
50 The only reasonably valid use case for NAT that I've seen is for dealing
51 with the question of multi-homing an office with two internet
52 connections. The idea is that you don't have to renumber your internal
53 network if you need to switch from your primary connection to your
54 backup connection (and you're being granted different IP ranges based on
55 which connection you're working with...so we're talking small business,
56 not BGP or multilink with the same ISP).
57
58 In those cases, I advocate application-layer gateways; chances are, if
59 you're investing in multi-homing your office, you probably already want
60 the kind of administrative power (and performance improvements) proxy
61 servers can offer you.
62
63 The IPv4 address crunch triggered the development of DNAT a couple
64 decades ago, and the silly thing persists in terrible ways when there
65 are simpler ways to handle things. (When I say 'simpler', I mean: Don't
66 break assumptions about basic network behavior such as 'don't mangle my
67 packets' or 'I can open a connection back to him when I have updates he
68 needs')