From: John Blinka <jblinka@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Is there a gcc-4.1.1 alternative?
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:12:33
1 Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > I'm fed up with this. I've restarted the emerge of gcc-4.1.1-r3 on my
3 > server box four times now. It always gets to compiling insn-attrtab.o
4 > and then it never stops. I even went into the Makefile to find the
5 > exact command used to compile this particular object file and ran the
6 > command manually. It only took half an hour, but when I told it to
7 > emerge sys-devel/gcc, I guess it didn't like my manually built file, so
8 > it's doing it over again. This time it's been trying to build this file
9 > for over eight hours.
10 >
11 > 4499 root 18 0 132m 35m 416 R 1.5 60.2 8:41.94 cc1
12 >
13 > bullet ~ # strace -p 4499
14 > Process 4499 attached - interrupt to quit
15 >
16 > This strace doesn't help me much. What does "attached" mean, anyway?
17 > Is there some other way for me to get gcc-4 on my server box? Some
18 > binary package for an i586 maybe?
19 >
20 You don't mention what sort of machine your server is, but if it's as
21 old as an i586 then,
22 in my experience with an old box with very little memory, compiling
23 insn-attrb takes a
24 very long time. My 150 mhz laptop takes days to compile gcc and seems
25 to get stuck
26 on insn-attrb for many hours. It's been grinding away most of today in
27 insn-attrb and
28 has accumulated a couple of hours of cpu time in the process. It'll
29 probably be
30 done by Monday or Tuesday.
31
32 Just start the emerge then go away and ignore it. It'll finish eventually.
33
34 John Blinka
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list