From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update to newer kernel completely hoses suspend
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 20:30:39
1 Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 09/15/2012 03:29 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Daniel Frey wrote:
4 >>> Well, it turns out it was my PSU. The voltage drop on the 5V line was
5 >>> 4.08, but it would slowly warm up to 4.95V, then the PC would behave
6 >>> normally. I opened the PSU and there was a ruptured cap.
7 >>>
8 >>> I've replaced it and the problems are all gone.
9 >>>
10 >>> I guess it was not really a coincidence that the failure happened after
11 >>> a major update. This isn't the first time an `emerge -pvuDN world`
12 >>> killed my computer. :-)
13 >>>
14 >>> Dan
15 >>>
16 >>>
17 >> *cough cough* Maybe you need a better or more powerful power supply?
18 >> If that cap went bad, you could have some others that are ready for the
19 >> same problem. I'd at least be on the look out for a new P/S. The next
20 >> one could go out and take a mobo or something with it. That would be
21 >> bad for sure.
22 >>
23 >> Just a thought.
24 >>
25 >> Dale
26 >>
27 >> :-) :-)
28 >>
29 > After I changed the cap I decided to get a new PSU anyway. I went with
30 > better (650 W Antec Platinum) rather than more powerful. The old one was
31 > already 1010 W, by a manufacturer whom I don't trust any longer.
32 >
33 > Dan
37 Sounds good. This is a site that I keep a eye on.
38
39 http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Review_Cat&recatnum=13
40
41 They do power supply reviews and the good part, they take the power
42 supplies apart so you can see what is in them plus they point out
43 anything that may be cause for concern. They also tell what brand of
44 caps they have too.
45
46 This is a forum thread that also lists power supplies that have been
47 tested and it also lists some that should be avoided for some reason.
48
49 http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708
50
51 I don't build anything super fancy but I do try to get at least a good
52 one or avoid the ones on the bad list. lol
53
54 You may have already heard of those but thought I would post them just
55 in case it could help in the future. May even help someone else too.
56
57 Glad you got it fixed tho. ;-)
58
59 Dale
60
64 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!