From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-user] Update to newer kernel completely hoses suspend
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 18:29:21
1 On 09/15/2012 03:29 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Daniel Frey wrote:
3 >> Well, it turns out it was my PSU. The voltage drop on the 5V line was
4 >> 4.08, but it would slowly warm up to 4.95V, then the PC would behave
5 >> normally. I opened the PSU and there was a ruptured cap.
6 >>
7 >> I've replaced it and the problems are all gone.
8 >>
9 >> I guess it was not really a coincidence that the failure happened after
10 >> a major update. This isn't the first time an `emerge -pvuDN world`
11 >> killed my computer. :-)
12 >>
13 >> Dan
17 > *cough cough* Maybe you need a better or more powerful power supply?
18 > If that cap went bad, you could have some others that are ready for the
19 > same problem. I'd at least be on the look out for a new P/S. The next
20 > one could go out and take a mobo or something with it. That would be
21 > bad for sure.
22 >
23 > Just a thought.
24 >
25 > Dale
26 >
30 After I changed the cap I decided to get a new PSU anyway. I went with
31 better (650 W Antec Platinum) rather than more powerful. The old one was
32 already 1010 W, by a manufacturer whom I don't trust any longer.
33
34 Dan