From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is starting xdm enough to see something in X?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 19:56:13
1 On Friday 22 May 2009 21:19:40 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Matt Harrison
3 >
4 > <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Mark Knecht wrote:
6 > >> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:49 AM, bn <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >>> Mark Knecht ha scritto:
8 > >>>> Title sort of says it. I have an old machine that I'm setting up as a
9 > >>>> Myth server. I didn't want X on the machine but I'm having trouble so
10 > >>>> I emerged xdm and start it using /etc/init.d/xdm start. The drivers
11 > >>>> get loaded but I get a black screen. No error message in the X log
12 > >>>> file.
13 > >>>>
14 > >>>> I haven't messed with X at this level before. What's the minimum test
15 > >>>> of X that would display a terminal or something very basic?
16 > >>>
17 > >>> Have you tried
18 > >>>
19 > >>> startx /usr/bin/xterm
20 > >>
21 > >> Yes. Same black screen. Nothing else going on. The processes show up
22 > >> in ps aux, X as root, xterm as me.
23 > >
24 > > I've found before that if everything seems to be running (can list X
25 > > processes and logs look fine) but you still don't see anything, it's
26 > > possible it is your monitor. I used to use a really old 15" CRT for a
27 > > server but it just wouldn't run X at anything over 640x480. Modern
28 > > monitors will at least tell you if the resolution/refresh is out of
29 > > limits, but older ones don't often. Try with a different monitor if that
30 > > one is old or suspect.
31 > >
32 > > ~Matt
33 >
34 > Good point. I'll hook the machine up to a very good monitor later today.
35 > Thanks.
36
37 You need to run an X-server, not the one that is displaying xdm because that
38 will only run xdm and once you authenticate will launch an entirely different
39 session. Either launch the failsafe session, it gives you twm on gentoo with a
40 single xterm, or ditch xdm and run startx.
41
42 You can also run xinit (startx is a wrapper script around xinit that launches
43 user-defined apps) and that gives you plain X without a window manager so you
44 need to put at least xterm into .xinitrc
45
46 > One question about this X stuff. Is there any difference at all at the
47 > application level if I run an app displaying on the monitor of that
48 > machine, or use ssh -X -Y -C and run the app displaying on a remote
49 > machine?
50
51 No difference whatsoever for basic apps. X is network transparent, meaning
52 that the X client reads and writes a Unix socket, TCP socket, or whatever else
53 you can dream up. However, I'm sure you will find that recent fancy stuff like
54 compiz and OpenGL don't work as expected.
55
56 > If there is absolutely no difference then I don't need to bother with
57 > this. If there is then I do. The real issue here is that Myth doesn't
58 > work. If I can be certain that displaying Myth apps on a remote
59 > screen, such as mythtv-setup or mythfrontend, is really the same then
60 > I'll just do that. However those apps are currently failing so I'm
61 > trying to eliminate issues, and possibly creating one I don't care
62 > about in doing that!
63
64 Running X apps locally locally tests your X libs and your X server.
65 Running X apps remotely tests the X libs
66
67 :-)
70 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com