From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is starting xdm enough to see something in X?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 19:19:42
1 On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Matt Harrison
2 <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:49 AM, bn <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> Mark Knecht ha scritto:
8 >>>>
9 >>>> Title sort of says it. I have an old machine that I'm setting up as a
10 >>>> Myth server. I didn't want X on the machine but I'm having trouble so
11 >>>> I emerged xdm and start it using /etc/init.d/xdm start. The  drivers
12 >>>> get loaded but I get a black screen. No error message in the X log
13 >>>> file.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> I haven't messed with X at this level before. What's the minimum test
16 >>>> of X that would display a terminal or something very basic?
17 >>>>
18 >>> Have you tried
19 >>>
20 >>> startx /usr/bin/xterm
21 >>>
22 >>
23 >> Yes. Same black screen. Nothing else going on. The processes show up
24 >> in ps aux, X as root, xterm as me.
27 > I've found before that if everything seems to be running (can list X
28 > processes and logs look fine) but you still don't see anything, it's
29 > possible it is your monitor. I used to use a really old 15" CRT for a server
30 > but it just wouldn't run X at anything over 640x480. Modern monitors will at
31 > least tell you if the resolution/refresh is out of limits, but older ones
32 > don't often. Try with a different monitor if that one is old or suspect.
33 >
34 > ~Matt
35
36 Good point. I'll hook the machine up to a very good monitor later today. Thanks.
37
38 One question about this X stuff. Is there any difference at all at the
39 application level if I run an app displaying on the monitor of that
40 machine, or use ssh -X -Y -C and run the app displaying on a remote
41 machine?
42
43 If there is absolutely no difference then I don't need to bother with
44 this. If there is then I do. The real issue here is that Myth doesn't
45 work. If I can be certain that displaying Myth apps on a remote
46 screen, such as mythtv-setup or mythfrontend, is really the same then
47 I'll just do that. However those apps are currently failing so I'm
48 trying to eliminate issues, and possibly creating one I don't care
49 about in doing that!
50
51 Thanks,
52 Mark