From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is starting xdm enough to see something in X?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 19:09:20
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:49 AM, bn <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Mark Knecht ha scritto:
4 >>> Title sort of says it. I have an old machine that I'm setting up as a
5 >>> Myth server. I didn't want X on the machine but I'm having trouble so
6 >>> I emerged xdm and start it using /etc/init.d/xdm start. The drivers
7 >>> get loaded but I get a black screen. No error message in the X log
8 >>> file.
9 >>>
10 >>> I haven't messed with X at this level before. What's the minimum test
11 >>> of X that would display a terminal or something very basic?
12 >>>
13 >> Have you tried
14 >>
15 >> startx /usr/bin/xterm
18 > Yes. Same black screen. Nothing else going on. The processes show up
19 > in ps aux, X as root, xterm as me.
22 I've found before that if everything seems to be running (can list X
23 processes and logs look fine) but you still don't see anything, it's
24 possible it is your monitor. I used to use a really old 15" CRT for a
25 server but it just wouldn't run X at anything over 640x480. Modern
26 monitors will at least tell you if the resolution/refresh is out of
27 limits, but older ones don't often. Try with a different monitor if that
28 one is old or suspect.
29
30 ~Matt