From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backing up KDE config files
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 13:10:17
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Tue, Apr 05, 2022 at 09:02:46PM -0500 schrieb Dale:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> What I'm not sure about is KDE config files.  I googled and found out some
6 >> I was pretty sure of already.  Examples, .config, .local, and .kde4 but
7 >> there could be others that need to be backed up as well.  Anyone know if
8 >> that is all of them or am I missing some?
9 > I guess it depends on the applications you use. I think the directories you
10 > mentioned have all you need. I looked at my laptop, whose user directory
11 > harkens back to 2016. I still have ~/.kde (without any files) and ~/.kde4,
12 > but the only files in there that are newer than at least 9 months is
13 > .kde4/share/config/kdeglobals (modified 1 week ago, I probably changed some
14 > keyboard shortcuts) and theme files from Breeze inside
15 > .kde4/share/apps/color-schemes/.
16 >
17 > Look for yourself:
18 >> find ~/.kde ~/.kde4 -mtime -180
19 > will tell you which files in there are newer than 180 days. Modify
20 > parameters to your liking.
24 At first, I just wanted to backup .<everything> but couldn't figure out
25 how to get rsync to do that yet.  I'm working on it tho.  There should
26 be a way.  Still, at least I get back most everything with those.  I
27 skimmed the list and most programs I use just use the defaults so it can
28 just be recreated or rarely use that software at all.  I suspect a lot
29 of them have been moved to .config anyway.
30
31 Given the volume of data, I may have to start using tar and friends
32 before long.  Even split up, my backup drives are getting a bit full
33 with direct copies.  Someone else mentioned snapshots but I still need
34 to research that.  I need a month of good health to see if I can catch
35 up on the things that need doing here.  :/
36
37 Thanks.
38
39 Dale