From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 16:48:21
1 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > On 2015-08-27, Mike Gilbert <floppym <at> gentoo.org> wrote:
5 > > On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 6:27 PM, Michel Catudal <mcatudal <at>
6 comcast.net> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> I've had serious problems in the past getting to to install on
9 > >> a partition and gave up. Is that bug fixed?
10 > >> It insists on installing on the MBR which is unacceptable.
11
12 Hmmm. For my purposes (That is creating a PreQualifing Matrix based
13 on the answers to some questions) it would seem that requiring installation
14 of Grub on a partition and not the MBR would mean that only Grub-2 can be used.
17 > > It's not a bug, and it won't be "fixed". Installing on a partition is
18 > > simply not supported.
19 > So, grub2 refuses to share power and cooperate with another bootloader.
20 > Bill Gates would be proud.
21
22 Yea there does seem to a lot of that going around. The good news is
23 there are so many qualified kernel/lowlevel/devicedriver coders
24 around these days, it's only a matter of time before a serious
25 fork in the bootloader/kernel world of linux occurs. It just keeps
26 boiling and roiling, imho. ymmv.
29 > For those of us with multiple Linux installations on a disk, that's a
30 > pretty big reason to stick with grub-legacy.
31
32 So you are saying (trying to read the 'tea leaves' here) that
33 grub legacy ( grub-static-0.97-r12) will work well on a 64 bit systems,
34 (u)efi with say multiple drives (> 2T) and Raid-1 configs like btrfs-native
35 or via lvm?
36
37 I'm not challenging what you are saying; I'm trying to figure out what
38 everybody is suggestions to publish the first draft of the PreQualifying
39 Matrix Questions and the resulting valid choices one can infer. Grub 1vs2
40 is a big part of that matrix.
43 curiously,
44 James