From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 19:54:40
1 On Thursday, August 27, 2015 4:47:30 PM James wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 > > On 2015-08-27, Mike Gilbert <floppym <at> gentoo.org> wrote:
6 > > > On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 6:27 PM, Michel Catudal <mcatudal <at>
7 > comcast.net> wrote:
8 > > >
9 > > >> I've had serious problems in the past getting to to install on
10 > > >> a partition and gave up. Is that bug fixed?
11 > > >> It insists on installing on the MBR which is unacceptable.
12 >
13 > Hmmm. For my purposes (That is creating a PreQualifing Matrix based
14 > on the answers to some questions) it would seem that requiring installation
15 > of Grub on a partition and not the MBR would mean that only Grub-2 can be
16 used.
19 > > > It's not a bug, and it won't be "fixed". Installing on a partition is
20 > > > simply not supported.
21 > > So, grub2 refuses to share power and cooperate with another bootloader.
22 > > Bill Gates would be proud.
23 >
24 > Yea there does seem to a lot of that going around. The good news is
25 > there are so many qualified kernel/lowlevel/devicedriver coders
26 > around these days, it's only a matter of time before a serious
27 > fork in the bootloader/kernel world of linux occurs. It just keeps
28 > boiling and roiling, imho. ymmv.
31 > > For those of us with multiple Linux installations on a disk, that's a
32 > > pretty big reason to stick with grub-legacy.
33 >
34 > So you are saying (trying to read the 'tea leaves' here) that
35 > grub legacy ( grub-static-0.97-r12) will work well on a 64 bit systems,
36 > (u)efi with say multiple drives (> 2T) and Raid-1 configs like btrfs-native
37 > or via lvm?
38
39 An EFI 64-bit kernel can only be loaded by a 64-bit EFI bootloader. With Linux
40 I think it doesn't matter because I think even with the EFI stub you get a
41 hybrid kernel that can be booted by a regular bootloader, but things like the
42 EFI framebuffer driver and efivars will not work unless you boot in EFI mode.
43
44 You can chainload an efi bootloader with grub1 but I think that only emulates
45 EFI, so these things may still not work. And I don't think that's officially
46 supported anymore because there's grub2 for that purpose.
47
48 > I'm not challenging what you are saying; I'm trying to figure out what
49 > everybody is suggestions to publish the first draft of the PreQualifying
50 > Matrix Questions and the resulting valid choices one can infer. Grub 1vs2
51 > is a big part of that matrix.
54 > curiously,
55 > James
63 Fernando Rodriguez