From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Horrible TrueCrypt performance
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 00:23:55
1 Hi there!
2
3 I have to copy some 100 G of files from one to another USB drive. Both
4 are formatted with NTFS, the destination drive already has a truecrypt
5 container file where I need to store the data into.
6
7 This is sort of working, but the speed is waayyyy too slow. After about
8 four hours, only 8 G were copied.
9
10 Looking at the cp -r output shows I see a bunch of files being
11 processed, then the output stops for some minutes. Sometimes for half an
12 hour.
13
14 Top shows the mount.ntfs-3g process writing to the destination using all
15 resources of one of my two cores. iotop -d 10 shows this process mainly.
16 What I find strange is that this process is also reading from the drive
17 I am copying to, 1600 K/s compared to 260 K/s writing speed. Huh?? And
18 sometimes there is no I/O from this process during the ten seconds of
19 sampling time. I sampled for about half an hour, and iotop -oa shows
20 that only 20 MB were written. This will never finish.
21
22 I used this command to mount the truecrypt container:
23 truecrypt --fs-options=uid=1000,umask=0007 -k /home/wonko/my.key
24 /media/My USB Drive/my_container /mnt
25 Adding 'async' to the fs-options did not help.
26
27 Any ideas? I've never used TrueCrypt before.
28
29 Wonko