From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where oh where has my vol_id gone
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:30:34
1 On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 6:31 AM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>wrote:
4 > On 24 Jan 2010, at 03:53, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
5 >
6 > I used to have a vol_id command to discover the UUIDs of my partitions.
7 >> I just connected some new SATA drives and I cannot find that utility. Did I
8 >> just imagine it, or has something else happened?
11 > Sorry if this is a dumb response, but have you partitioned &/or formatted
12 > them?
13 >
14 > Here I would use `ls -lG /dev/disk/by-uuid/` to find UUIDs. A drive that
15 > was hot-swapped in, partitioned & formatted since the system was booted is
16 > showing.
17 >
18 > Please excuse me if I'm misunderstanding your question.
19 >
20 > Stroller.
21 >
22 > As it happens, these were Fantom Green drives, which come with NTFS, but I
23 had just reformatted with ext4.
24
25 Thanks, though, I didn't know about that /dev/disk thing either...
28 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD