From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading xorg
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 23:17:01
1 On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 10:29:36 +0100
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > The parentheses mean the flag is not available in
5 > your profile. in this case, those video cards are for specific,
6 > non-x86 hardware.
7
8 Perhaps this is entirely true, and I am misinterpreting. But the
9 manpage appears to say differently:
10
11 () circumfix = forced, masked, or removed
12
13 Not only might those options be masked, they might also be 'forced' or
14 'removed'. I don't know what 'removed' would be, but take a look at
15 this output:
16
17 dan@pascal ~ $ emerge openssl -avp
18 [...]
19 Calculating dependencies... done!
20 [ebuild R ] dev-libs/openssl-0.9.8d USE="(sse2) zlib
21 -bindist -emacs -test" 0 kB
22 dan@pascal ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep sse2
23 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
24 mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
25 lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm
26
27 Is portage building without sse2 support? Probably not. I think
28 instead the support is 'forced' because my processor supports it,
29 although perhaps I am incorrect. It might also be 'forced' because a
30 dependency uses it, and therefore openssl can't _not_ use it, so it
31 adds it in be default.
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list